Ear infections cause sharp, intense, dull, or piercing pain. You might detect them at once, or you can struggle to discover the reason why your child cries and tugs the earlobe.
Earaches are always a painful and unpleasant issue, which often makes you try all that you can find in the medicine cabinet, even antibiotics, in order to soothe the pain and discomfort.
However, you do not need to use antibiotics to alleviate an earache, as you can treat it completely naturally.
The newest guidelines from the AAP are that an earache should be treated by focusing on the pain management, instead of using antibiotics. In most cases, ear infections go away on their own, and antibiotics can lead to antibiotic-resistant infections.
The most common causes of earaches include cavities, tonsillitis, sinus infections, and teeth grinding. The most common infection is acute otitis media or AOM.
It is manifested by infections and swellings of the middle ear.
The pain is caused by the trapped fluid behind the eardrum. Its most common symptoms involve fever, slight hearing loss, earaches, or feeling sick. In the case of small children and babies, you might detect it if they are restless and pull the ear.
These are the top 10 natural remedies for earaches:
Onion is one of the most readily available home remedies for an earache. The antiseptic and antibacterial properties in onions work well in treating the problem.
- Extract one tablespoon of onion juice from grated onions and heat it over low heat. Then put 2-3 drops of the juice into affected ear 2-3 times a day.
- Crush a fresh onion and wrap it tightly in a piece of clean cloth. Hold the cloth over the infected ear for about 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat the process several times a day.
Related: The Magic Onion: Things You Didn’t Know Onions Could Do
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
You should soak a cotton ball in it and add a few drops into the painful ear. This will dislodge the debris, and you can irrigate the area with warm water afterward.
3. Tea Tree Oil
The mild antibacterial properties present in tea tree oil can give instant relief from earache. To treat an ear infection, follow the steps below.
- Mix three drops of tea tree oil, two tablespoons of olive oil, a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Warm the mixture slightly.
- Lay on your side with your head on a towel. Using a dropper, fill your ear with the mixture and let it sit for five minutes. Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a day for two days.
The potent antibiotic and analgesic properties of garlic can effectively soothe the ear infection. Add a teaspoon of minced garlic to 2 tablespoons of some oil and heat the mixture. Apply 2-3 drops in the painful ear.
Related: Garlic Kills 14 Kinds Of Cancer And 13 Types Of Infection.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
To get rid of the fungus that may be causing the ear infection, apple cider vinegar is a good option.
- Mix one part apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water or alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Put the cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it for about five minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side to drain the liquid from the ear. Use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
If apple cider vinegar is not available, you can use white vinegar. If the cause of the ear infection is in the Eustachian tubes, try gargling with apple cider vinegar.
Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can be helpful in treating ear infections. It is also an excellent natural painkiller.
- Extract juice from fresh ginger and put it directly into the ears to get relief from pain and reduce inflammation.
- You can also mix one teaspoon of fresh grated ginger root with two tablespoons of olive oil. Leave it to infuse for 5 to 10 minutes and then put a few drops of the oil in the aching ear.
7. Bishop’s Weed
Bishop’s weed, also known as ajwain is another effective natural cure for earaches as it has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
- Mix one teaspoon of Bishop’s weed oil with three teaspoons of sesame oil and warm it slightly. Put a few drops of the oil mixture in the ear.
- Heat two teaspoons of mustard oil and add one-half teaspoon of Bishop’s weed and a couple of garlic flakes. Heat the mixture until the garlic turns red. Filter it and put a few drops in your ear as ear drops
You can use hot water bubbles to treat an earache, or you can prepare heat packs and apply them to the ear. Place popcorn or rice in a small pouch or old sock, seal, and heat in shorts bursts. Then, hold the pack on the affected ear.
Due to its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and analgesic properties, basil is considered good for relieving earaches.
- Crush a few basil leaves and extract the juice.
- Put three or four drops of this juice in the aching ear.
- Repeat once or twice a day.
10. Olive Oil
Olive oil can provide fast relief from an earache. It serves as a lubricant and helps get rid of an infection in the ear. Olive oil can also be helpful in stopping buzzing sensations inside the ears.
- Put 3-4 drops of lukewarm olive oil as ear drops into the ear canal.
- Alternatively, you can dip a cotton bud in the oil and put it firmly into the ear.
You can also use mustard oil in the same way.
Salt is probably the most readily available home remedy.
- Heat up one cup of salt on a pan over low heat for a few minutes. You can also heat it in a microwave or double-boiler.
- Place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end with rubber band (or tie a knot).
- When it is bearably hot, lay down and put the cloth on the affected ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy daily as many times as needed. The heat generated from the sock will help draw out fluid from the ear and relieve swelling and pain.
As an alternative, you can use one cup of rice in the same manner described above.
These remedies can help treat minor ear infections. If there is no improvement within a couple of days, seek medical attention.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article. If you found this information helpful, please share it with your friends and family. Your support in our endeavor of sharing free information would be much appreciated.